Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jesus crucified again?

After reading David Isaacson's article, "Where Personal and Professional Collide," I became very curious about the religious aspect. He mentions a librarian who lost her job because she wore a necklace of a cross. (She sued and won!!). I am a Christian and put God first in my life. I also strongly believe in the 1st Amendment. As a future librarian I have struggled with this. They are lots of material out there I don't support or condone. However, while on the job it is not my place to refuse this material to others.
However, those same people who say they support the 1st Amendment, get all upset when God is involved. The East Vally Tribune recently printed an article about a 7th grade girl who got in trouble for having a picture of Jesus on her notebook. After a student complained she was sent to the office and told not to return to school with the photo. Her outraged mother sought the help of the Center for Arizona Policy, a conservative think tank. The principal gave in and let the photo back in after a public backlash.
Now a bill is the process of being passed that will eliminate this type of discrimination. Rep. Rich Crandall, R-Mesa, attempts to bring together a series of state laws and court decisions banning censorship in schools based on religion. HB 2357 would bar all forms of religious discrimination in schools and would specify that students are allowed to wear religious clothing, jewelry and apparel on campus. The House passed the bill, passing it on to Senate.
The young ladies mother says, "Freedom of speech doesn’t stop when you enter the school gates."
It takes people like this who are not afraid to stand up for what the Constitution says is right. If we all sit back and do nothing, we will soon not be able to do anything with out getting the governments permission first.
As a Christian and an American I am very upset by the fact that we constantly being told how tolerant we need to be to everyone. I agree with this completely. America should be home to all races, religions, etc. However, every time I hear this, I turn around and Jesus is being taken out of something. We aren't supposed to pray in God's name, we can't pray in public, Bible's are disappearing in public places. Why are we supposed to be tolerant to everyone except Jesus? For the 1st Amendment to work the way it is supposed to, no religion should be singled out!!

Isaacson, David. (2004). "Where Personal and Professional Collide." Library Journal, 129 (4): 50. (Academic Search Premier).

Manget, Sean. (9 May 2009). "Bill Bans Religious Censorship in Schools." EastValleyTribune.com. Accessed 21 May 2009 from http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/139010.

3 comments:

  1. Amber, this is an interesting article, because often library staff are told they cannot promote different things. For instance, during the election staff was told that they could not promote any political party. I can see why in that case, because they didn't want a librarians personal opinion to influence any patrons, nor did they want to start political debates. In the above case, I don't see why it would be a problem for a library or student to have symbols of their personal beliefs. Its not like they are trying to pass them out at the reference desk! I don't necessarily agree that Jesus or religion is being removed from our society, but I have heard other people say that they have felt alienated when talking about their personal beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I turn around and Jesus is being taken out of something. We aren't supposed to pray in God's name, we can't pray in public, Bible's are disappearing in public places. Why are we supposed to be tolerant to everyone except Jesus? For the 1st Amendment to work the way it is supposed to, no religion should be singled out!!"

    Yeah, this War on Jesus bothers me, too. Things have gotten really bad in this country since the atheists took over. They say 95% of the US is now atheist or Hindu. Scary! Here's what hacks me off:

    I hate that in most cities, you have to walk two whole blocks to find a church--there should be one on every corner, I say!

    I also really hate that so many places are open on Sunday in Indiana--I mean the liquor stores are required to take a day of rest, why not Wal-Mart & McDonald's?

    And the Christmas season--I'm steamed that it only lasts about 3 months! It should last all year long!

    And all those "Prayer Breakfasts" that mayors & other government officials have, as well as the saying of prayers when Indiana's General Assembly convenes--you know they're just for show!

    And I hate how Barack Obama, when he took the Oath of Office, was not allowed to say, "So help me, Sweet Baby Jesus." They took Jesus out of the Oath, so he had to say "God" instead.

    And remember a few years ago, when Bill Clinton had all our money changed from "In Jesus We Trust" to "In God We Trust"? A travesty! They say he swapped Jesus for God in the Pledge of Allegiance, too!

    I'd pray for it to get better, but I'm afraid of going to jail, since you know, we can't pray in public anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. El Robster...

    You kind of proved Ambers point. I understand your frustration and the point you are making but how you did it does not increase dialog, rather it was a verbal slap in the face.

    Amber...

    While I do not agree with his method I do agree with his message. While it may not feel like it to you much of life in the United States, especially in the mid-west, works with the assumption that one is Christian. While I have never known any of my daughters' teachers assume that they are a Jew, Muslim or Athiets many have assumed they are Christian. Again, I have never known one of their teachers to talk about their personal faith... other than Christian. (When I substitute taught and volunteered in class I personally observed this on several occassions.)

    That said, I believe that an employee should not be fired for wearing a necklace that identifies their religion. That would be the same as firing an employee because they wear a burka or a kippah (skull cap).

    ReplyDelete